Saturday, August 2, 2008

Jungle Jim's

Today we drove down to Cincinnati and went to Jungle Jim's International Market. I wish I had taken my camera. The best way to describe it is to say that if there were a supermarket at South of the Border (that place on I-95 at the border of North Carolina and South Carolina) it would be Jungle Jim's. It is not a shopping experience for the weak-spirited. You enter past an enclosure of cement giraffes and elephants spouting water, into a gigantic warehouse which contains a dizzying array of meats and cheeses and produce and live fish and singing soup cans and a life-size fire truck perched atop a display of what must be every single hot sauce produced in the world. We spent the most time in the international foods section and brought home ginger beer from Bermuda, paella rice from Spain, finishing salt from France, and lingonberry jam from Sweden. The best find was the sugar-in-the-raw sugar cubes that I used to buy in Iceland.
I won't give away the surprise about the restrooms; I'll just say this - their bathroom has apparently won awards.
You can check out their website at www.junglejims.com.

No comments: