Friday, November 13, 2009

The Glee is back in my life

Something unexpected that happened while I was on maternity leave was that I watched a lot more TV than usual. It seemed ultimately indulgent to curl up in a comfy chair and nurse and cuddle and nap with Soren and watch Judge Judy or whatever was on the History Channel or maybe a Made-For-TV Movie on the Lifetime Network. Delicious.
I happened to catch the season premier of 'gLee' and I was hooked. The Glee was missing from my life for several weeks while baseball was on, but last night 'gLee' was back.

Top 7 Favorite Things I Like About This Show:

1- It is set in Ohio. Lima, Ohio to be exact. I'm not sure where that is, but every time they mention that they are in Ohio, it feels like when you're at the concert of a really cool band and the lead singer announces how great it is to be in (insert the name of your town) and the whole crowd screams "Woohoooo".

2- The characters attend William McKinley High School. William McKinley was my grandmother's cousin. Another "WooHoooo" moment.

3- My favorite character is Sue Sylvester the cheerleading coach. She's wicked crazy.

4- My second favorite character is Emma Pillsbury, the obsessive/compulsive, germ-phobic guidance counselor.

5- My third favorite character is Principal Figgins. Hysterical Pakistani guy.

6- The "cool" couple is Quinn Fabray and Finn Hudson. Quinn and Finn. Hee hee.

7- Though I am typically not a fan of musicals ('The Wizard of Oz' and 'The Sound of Music' being notable exceptions) the singing fits naturally into the story line because... well, it's about a Glee Club.

*Disclaimer: There are some dubious moral messages in the show. For instance, in this week's episode they are having a bake sale to raise money to charter a 'handicapable' bus so the whole club can ride to a competition together, including Artie who is in a wheelchair. The bake sale is a flop until they make cupcakes laced with marijuana and that seems to be passed off as okay. Maybe that's why it comes on late at night... Whew- these days 9 o'clock is past my bedtime.

4 comments:

Kara and Jeremy said...

Lima, Ohio, is about 25 miles north of Sidney, Ohio...where you went for our wedding, Megann.

In fact, when we were especially good as kids, we got to go to the way cool "Lima Mall" to shop. But only on special occasions.

Incidentally, there is no McKinley high school in Lima. There is, however, Kewpee Hamburgers, which allegedly spawned the business model for Dave Thomas and all his Wendy's glory.

Mary said...

I've seen a majority of the episodes, although not all. I made sure to watch this week to see how they incorporated Down syndrome in the story line.

Megann said...

What did you think Mary? I thought the actors with Down Syndrome were treated very respectfully. And I loved the last scene where you got to see the tender side of the cheerleading coach character.

Mary said...

First of all, I think that having an episode with Down syndrome aired on prime time was pretty bold. Good for them. I was worried when "Becky" was introduced but was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. I think "Sue" is an awesome character and she did a fantastic job in this plot. I especially love that she put "Will" in his place regarding treating "Becky" like everyone else. Treating her differently (to an extreme extent) would definitely be a disservice to her. On the other hand, it was also representative of other individuals with Ds who do live in assisted living environments. Although I'm not overly critical when it comes to television (it is entertainment), I think the topic was handled tastefully and respectfully.