Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Concert on the Square

On summer Sunday afternoons, in Bedford's charming little town square, there is a concert series. People bring lawn chairs and sit under the shade trees and listen to live music. This past weekend an orchestra played patriotic music and since we were still at grandma's house we got to go. My favorite part was when they played a medley of all the Services' theme songs- 'The Caissons Go Rolling Along', 'From the Halls of Montezuma', 'Wild Blue Yonder', and 'Anchors Aweigh'. Before they played, the conductor asked that anyone who had served in the military stand when the song for their branch was played so they could be recognised. It was a very proud moment when they played 'Anchors Aweigh' and my father, my mother, my husband, and I could all stand. I literally had tears in my eyes.
My dad is a 1969 graduate of the Naval Academy and a submariner. He was the captain of a Trident nuclear submarine and served at the Pentagon. Just as impressive, my mother was a Public Affairs Officer at a time when females in the military were scarce, not to mention a female officer . My husband enlisted when he was 18, got a direct commission eight years later, and retired after 27 years as a submarine qualified Supply Officer. Me, I let the Navy pay for Dental School then served the three years I owed them as a Dental Officer. If my grandfather had been there, he could have stood up with us. He was a Navy Supply Officer.
Navy pride runs deep in our family. I can't wait for the Army Navy game in December. Go Navy! Beat Army!

No comments: